Broadcast Journalist | Food Lover | Funny(ish) | Sports Fan
I woke up this morning to this strange glow around the edge of my bedroom curtains and thought ‘that’s weird’, so I hopped up and like Joseph I drew back the curtains. Shock of shocks, it’s sunny!! So as the saying goes “make hay when the sun shines”, because in Ireland sunshine is so rare these days that when it manages to break through the miles of grey cloud its time to get the BBQ out and that’s just what I did today(well after I cut the grass). I thought it might be nice to do something different instead of the normal BBQ steak or burgers and decided a pizza off the BBQ would be awesome. I knew I had some leftover chorizo and baby potatoes so that was the basis of this masterpiece in the sun….
500g Plain flour
7g Sachet of yeast
320ml Lukewarm water
Cooked baby potato, sliced
1 Red onion, sliced
1 Roasted red pepper, sliced (From a jar is fine)
1 Garlic clove, diced
Chilli and Garlic Pizza Breads
Leftover Pizza dough
Chilli infused olive oil
2 Garlic cloves, diced
1. Pizza Dough… Mix the flour, yeast and salt in a bowl. Slowly add the water a little at a time, mix with your hands until you form a dough. Place in the bowl, cover and leave for 5 minutes. After this, remove from the bowl, split into two and knead for 10 minutes on a floured surface. Finally place the dough balls on a floured tea towel, cover with another damp tea towel and leave to rise for 30 minutes.
2. Light the BBQ, cover and leave to heat until the coals are white hot. Place a pizza stone on the grill and leave to warm up.
3. Take one of the dough balls and stretch out by hand to form a large round pizza base and rub with olive oil. Pour some tomato passata on the base and spread with the back of a spoon. Top with the remainder of the ingredients, season with black pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Transfer to the pizza stone, cover the BBQ and leave to cook.
4. Meanwhile, split the remaining dough into 2 – 3 smaller balls and stretch out by hand. Drizzle with the chilli oil and rub in with your hand. Sprinkle with garlic, oregano and place on the BBQ until cooked.
5. To serve, drizzle the pizza with olive oil, slice and pop open a nice cold bottle of beer.